The IXL Lime Kilns
Trail Thoughts and Musings
The limestone deposit on South Fall Creek was first developed in the early 1870s by the IXL Lime Company which built these kilns. In 1900 it was purchased by Henry Cowell. The lime was used extensively in rebuilding San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake. The kilns now are moss covered and propped up by logs. The heavy rains have made access to them difficult, due to the high water in the creek which can be seen in the foreground
Werner Hager at email@example.com
Last updated March 16, 1998.
Copyright 1996 by Werner W. Hager and Micromoms. All rights reserved.